My boyfriend's sister recently had the cutest baby ever and I had the privilege of doing a photo shoot for the new family. (More pictures to be posted on my facebook photography page).
On Sunday, we had a huge family brunch. Assigned with bringing a lighter dessert, I made chocolate pavlova! This has an exciting combination of textures: crunchy chocolate meringue, soft strawberries, creamy whipped cream and and strawberry cream cheese sauce. Meringue is awesome because it is gluten free, fat free, and makes a great alternative to cake.
Prep 15, Cook 1:15
6 egg whites
300g fine sugar (caster sugar)
3 tbls cocoa powder
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
50g dark chocolate finely chopped.
500 ml whipping cream
500 g thinly sliced strawberries
3 tbls grated dark chocolate
Cream cheese sauce
2/3 cup cream cheese
2/3 cup strawberries
1/3 cup condensed milk
The juice from half a lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Beat egg whites until satiny peaks form, and then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Sprinkle over the cocoa and vinegar and the chopped chocolate. Gently fold everything until the cocoa is mixed in.
3. Secure parchment paper to baking sheet with 4 dollops of meringue under the corners. Spread meringue on baking sheet to make 2 even circles about 9 inches across each.
4. Place in oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 300.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6. Turn the oven off, open the door slightly and allow the meringues to cool in the oven until they are room temperature.
1. Whip cream
2. Blend ingredients for strawberry cream cheese sauce
3. Layer with whip cream, cream cheese sauce and sliced strawberries and shaved chocolate.